The Baby Belly vs. the food Belly


Before I address this topic......

I realize every body is different with weight gain and pregnancy journey's (Some are easier than others)
However, I feel that the principle behind the weight gain is the same.

There is no perfect method to healthy weight gain,
this is just what worked for ME during my pregnancy.


Ok ladies... I know some of us don't like to admit it.
BUT, there is a difference between feeling "baby huge", and feeling "food huge".
I learned this throughout my pregnancy.

Those final weeks when you feel like you are going to pop at any second; (yes I have been there.)

That is called a baby belly.

You're baby is as big as a watermelon and you have EVERY right to feel uncomfortable, and be pampered because you feel like you are going to explode.

HOWEVER, there is a difference from feeling like you are going to pop with "baby",
and feeling like you are going to pop because of food.

Trust me.

Some days when I would really eat whatever my heart desired,
( and it's ok, we all have those days ) 
I felt huge.

Not just because I was carrying an 8 pound baby, BUT because of all the food.
A food belly on top of a baby belly, is the worst combination ever.
I didn't need all those unwanted extra calories.


(I am 27 weeks pregnant in this picture haha swimsuit is deceiving!)

You DESERVE to enjoy food during pregnancy.
Are you kidding me?!

For 9 months you are growing a child inside of you.. all those sleepless nights-
Girl, you DESERVE that ice cream cone when you want it!

That being said...
For me, Pregnancy in no way meant "letting myself go".

It's all about a healthy lifestyle.
I didn't want "Pregnancy" to be my excuse of changing my lifestyle.

As I said before in my LAST Fit Friday post,
this is why I hate the word diet.
Healthy should be a lifestyle, weight shouldn't have to be a rollercoaster.

Your body NEEDS extra calories when you are pregnant.
It is so important for that little one inside of you to get proper nutrition.

I came up with a couple tips that helped me have a healthy weight gain,
but also helped me to enjoy pregnancy and all it's perks:)

1. INDULGE THE BETTER OPTION.

I was really lucky and craved lots of fruits. 
( if you have followed my pregnancy you will know I ate a mango a day, without fail ) 

However, I also craved pizza, the occasional french fries, chicken fingers and ice cream. Here's where my point comes in: INDULGE THE BETTER OPTION.   

I am not a fast food person..
Which is why I thought it was weird I craved these things. 
( I honestly don't remember the last time I went to Wendy's and got chicken fingers and french fries or a burger- I think I was like 13 years old )

So instead of going somewhere for take out when I did crave French Fries, I baked them at home using THIS recipe. (yes in the picture is my cut up mango haha and yes, my ultimate downfall in life is not liking too many veggies, hence the lack of green in the picture. I forced myself to eat some broccoli after this meal ha)


When I craved Chicken Fingers I made THIS recipe. 
When I craved Ice Cream I went to Red Mango, or went to the grocery store and bought the Dreyers (half the fat) Ice Cream or Skinny Cows instead of going to Cold Stone.


I need to clarify and say that this was during the week. I usually try to maintain healthy eating on the weekdays.
On the weekend, I could justify going out and getting a big cheese pizza, or making a Cold Stone Ice Cream run if I couldn't live without it.
You can eat a lot of food, as long as it's the right kind of food.

Lets be honest, I ate like this about 80% of the time. No one is perfect. You should enjoy your pregnancy. I remember some nights having Fruit Loops at 2 AM.  In fact, I think I had fruit loops at least 3 nights a week throughout my pregnancy. If I wanted sugar, I ate sugar. 
Everyone has their weakness with food. Mine was (and is) pizza. I could live on pizza. That was my splurge on the weekends and having as much of it as I wanted to. (Maybe yours is a burger and fries?!)  The point is that if you make an effort 80% of the time, you can splurge the other 20%. You will look forward to food so much more this way!!

2. Pack Snacks

I would get nauseous or a headache if I wasn't eating every 2-3 hours. Everywhere we went I packed snacks. This saved me! It saved me from grabbing candy or something that is not substantial and it also helped me feel good. I would pack fruit and bars, or some carrots- Healthy snacks to fill me up.

3. DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!

Ok this is huge. This helps your body stay regular. I know we don't like to admit it but constipation is a common thing during pregnancy. This will also help if you are one that gets swollen! Water is so important! I am not a soda drinker, but I have studied enough to know to limit your soda intake and replace it with water. It will make all the difference!

The other tip I will tell you for a healthy weight gain is EXERCISE! I exercised pretty much every day except for Sunday for my entire pregnancy. ( I didn't miss many days ) I am a HUGE believer and I will do a post on that next week.

Overall, I ate pretty much the same as I do now while I was pregnant. I just ate a lot more haha. ( which you should! ) ( ok, I eat about the same right now because of breastfeeding, if not more! It takes it all out of you! ) 
I also splurged a lot more, and justified having ice cream a couple times a week because hey you are only pregnant how many times in life!? (I also exercised each day, which made it more justifiable) You deserve to enjoy it! 

Happy Friday from me and my little Valentine!

Karina Marie Powell

9 comments:

  1. ahhh what a sweet valentine you have!! what a cutie pie you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina, I am loving these posts! I have a little 3 month old guy and can't wait to see your thoughts on exercising and pregnancy. I worked out my entire pregnancy and had the easiest labor and recovery. I am a believer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO right, Karina! Being pregnant doesn't have to mean letting yourself go...it's the perfect time to enjoy treats (in moderation!) and eat those extra calories while still exercising and staying healthy. I really believe walking throughout pregnancy helped me have an easier labor...I'm sure you'd agree! You looked AMAZING preggo and you still do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had you as a coach during my pregnancies. I let most of my self-control go out the window! Oh well. I had healthy babies, healthy pregnancies and labors, and 6 months later I have just 5lbs left to lose. So it's not all bad, right? I am loving these posts. Keep 'em comin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! 5 pounds!? you are awesome girl! Ha you don't need any coach! Good for you! xo

      Delete
  5. I love these new posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No where near being preggo but when I am I will remember this helpful advice. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those lashes! I'm dying to know what mascara (and maybe eyeliner too!) you use! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetheart!! I use Mary Kay!! I love it! My mother in law actually sells some of their stuff so I get it from her! And I use Nu Skin Eye Liner.. It's a company based in Utah that my dad works for, so we get their make up! ha but thank you! I would totally recommend the both of them!!

      Delete